Translate

2/28/14

Ellen's Hawaiian Bread

Every once in a while I stumble onto what I take at the time to be a treasure and it has happened again yesterday.  I cannot recall how I came across this, just that happily I did!  The recipes are called Home Cookin' From Ellen's Kitchen and I knew immediately from reading her recipes that I was bound to try most of them with enthusiasm!  Ellen lives in Oklahoma and looks to be just a wonderful baker as the breads and cookies are as tempting as they can be.

The first recipe I choose was her bread machine Hawaiian bread.  I as she does, occasionally like to throw everything into the bread machine and set it on the dough cycle.  Much as she has done in this instance.  Unlike the last recipe for Hawaiian bread I tried this calls for real pineapple juice and a pinch of ginger.  Way to much for me to resist!

You can savor all of Ellen's recipe at her blog,    dillsalittlegoatfarm.com/recipes.htm

Ingredients for Ellen's Hawaiian Bread:

1/2 C. water @ 110-115 degrees F.
1/2 C. pineapple juice
1 egg
1 t. vanilla
2 T. soft butter
3 C. flour
1/3 C. brown sugar
1 T. instant potato flakes
1 t. salt
pinch of ground ginger
1 T. yeast


Place all of the ingredients into the bucket of your bread machine in the order listed above.  Select the dough cycle.  Allow the machine to complete it's cycle.

Traditionally Hawaiian  bread is made in round form.  Ellen says she generously butters a round 9" cake pan to help control it.  However you choose, butter generously  the vessel of your choice.  Place the dough into/onto the pan, cover, let rise for about 45-50 minutes til double. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.  Bake approx. 30 minutes til golden.

If you choose to shape into rolls, bake at 375 degrees f. for 12-15 minutes until golden.  ENJOY!

PS:  I put this in to bake while I ran to pick up my granddaughter from school.  YOU JUST CANNOT IMAGINE HOW WONDERFUL IT SMELLED AS I DROVE INTO THE GARAGE!

No comments: