Translate

2/11/14

Raw Flaked Coconut Cream Pie and Miss Kay's Pie Crust

I fell in love with coconut at first taste and Brian loves Coconut Cream Pie.  It is really really cold, I don't want to go out, and I am going to try a new spin on Coconut Pie just using what I can scare up.

I am about out of milk but have 2, 12 ounce cans of evaporated,  no sweetened flake coconut but big raw flakes of natural unsweetened, this I can work with!  The evaporated milk will make a richer pie.

Ingredients for Raw Flaked Coconut Pie:

1, 9" baked pie shell ( I used a frozen single crust from my freezer.)
2/3 C. sugar
1/4 C. corn starch
1/4 t. salt
3 C. evaporated milk
4 large egg yolks beaten
2 T. margarine, softened  (out of butter too!)
1 T. vanilla
1 C. raw coconut flakes

Ingredients for Meringue:

4 egg whites
pinch of salt
1/3 C. sugar
1/2 C. raw coconut flakes

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.

Stir together the first amount of sugar, corn starch, and salt in a heavy bottomed pan.  Add the milk and egg yolks gradually and whisk until smooth.  Cook over medium-high heat stirring constantly until it cones to a full boil.  Cook 1 minute.  Remove from the heat.  Stir in the butter, vanilla then the coconut.  Pour into the baked pie shell.  Make the meringue.

Add the egg whites and salt to a broad bottomed glass or metal (I do not use plastic as it may hold an oil residue and keep the whites flat.) mixing bowl and beat with an electric mixer until frothy.  As you beat on high speed gradually add the sugar a little at a time.  Beat until very stiff.  The meringue should hold up stiffly when you remove the beaters.  Spread over the pie filling and sprinkle the coconut atop.  Bake about 13-17 minutes checking often, say every 6 or 7 minutes.  Remove from the oven and cool.  Then refrigerate until serving time.  Best if chilled through completely.  Yield 6-8 servings.

Yes I did lick the spoon and it is delicious!  Also I had "Miss Kay's" pie crusts frozen in the freezer which I rolled, docked, and baked at 375 degrees F. for about 18-20 minutes.  This is a very nice pie crust and I may well use it again!    thehiddenpantry.blogspot.com/2014/01/cooking-chow-mein-and-chocolate-pie.html    Here is the link if you would like the recipe!

No comments: