Translate

7/1/14

Sorbets, Red, White, and Blue Frozen Treats for the Forth of July.

20 minutes in my ice cream machine and the sorbet is to a soft serve consistency.
As so many families do we get together for special celebrations. The 4th of July became ever more special when twin boys were born into our family.  That makes for a double celebration!  I am planning a red, white, and blue frozen sorbet/ ice cream treat for late night on the 4th.  Strawberry and Blueberry pulp is all mixed and chilling in the refrigerator to ready for freezing.  That is the red and blue of it!  I am still thinking on the white.  I may just mix up vanilla ice cream you can't miss with that!  I am experimenting with my new ice cream maker and have adapted my recipes from just reading a lot of various sources.

Ingredients for my Basic Fruit Sorbet:

4 C. fresh washed fruit ( I made a batch of strawberry and a batch of blueberry.)
1/4 C. fresh squeezed lemon juice (Any citrus will work.)
1 C. sugar
1 C. water
1/4 C. corn syrup
2-3 T. Vodka, optional

Stir the sugar and water together and bring to a boil in a small saucepan.  Reduce heat to simmer and leave for 5 minutes.   Pour into a jar or bowl, cover, and refrigerate.

I pitched a few stray strawberries in along with the blueberries to use them up.
Place the fruit and  lemon juice in food processor and process together to make a puree.  Strain using a fine mesh strainer into a bowl.  Add the corn syrup and chilled sugar solution and stir well. Strain a second time after rinsing the mesh sieve to dislodge and seeds and pulp.

The double straining insures a velvety smooth sorbet plus it gets the seeds out.
The vodka.....the reason for adding a smidgen  of vodka is to keep the sorbet from freezing into an ice cube when left in the deep freeze.  While you are add it use a flavored vodka if you have it just one more layer of flavor!  It will soften a bit faster and easier if it does harden with the addition of the liquor.

Chill overnight then churn according to mfg. direction.  So pretty and so good!  Each batch should yield a quart of sorbet.

My first batch the strawberry is delicious!  Tomorrow I will freeze a batch of blueberry I have waiting in the refrigerator.   SURE BEATS TURNING ON THE OVEN IN THIS 90 DEGREE HEAT!

I am posting early in case anyone wants to try this for the 4th!

Have a lovely 4th of July and be safe!


No comments: