Refrigerator Yeast Rolls
Light and airy diner rolls.
Foster's Market has a terrific blog I love to read and there is also a market and a restaurant. All of the things I have tried have been a "do again" so I would encourage you to check them out if you are interested. The reason I bring them up is that I have adapted her recipe, titled "Granny Foster's Refrigerator Rolls" and love the results I have gotten. The rolls are light and airy with a good soft texture, not doughy or heavy and the recipe makes 2 1/2 to 3 dozen rolls. You can make the dough ahead and bake off whatever portion you need and store the balance of the dough for up to 2 weeks in your refrigerator. So... I view it as a lot of bang for my buck in that I can have lovely diner rolls 2 or 3 times and do the work only once. 

Here is how my version goes:

1/2 C. warm water 105-115 degrees F.
2 1/2 t. instant yeast
1/2 C. sugar
8 T. butter
2 C. milk
1 t. salt
6 1/2 C. all purpose flour (King Arthur)
4 T. melted butter

Place water, yeast, and 1 t. sugar in a small bowl and stir once or twice, just to mix. Set aside to proof in a warm place for 5-7 minutes. Small bubbles should form across the top.

Combine the butter, milk, salt, and remaining sugar in a saucepan and heat over a low flame stirring constantly just until the sugar is dissolved and the butter melts. Use a thermometer and be sure you do NOT let the mixture heat over 115 degrees or you will have to cool it back down because it will kill the yeast if it becomes too hot. Remove from the heat just as soon as the sugar is dissolved and the butter melted and pour it into the large bowl of your stand mixer.

Add 1 cup of the flour and stir it in with a wooden spoon. Add the yeast mixture and stir until well combined. Scrape the spoon off and insert the dough hooks. Add all but about 1/2 C. of the remaining flour and mix until the dough is formed and it gathers up around the dough hook. 

The dough should not be sticky and it should be clinging to the hooks. Not laying on the bottom and sides of the bowl. Here is where judgement is required because the humidity and the dryness of the flour have a bearing on how the dough works. You want to make the proper adjustments at this time. If the dough is too dry and crumbly sprinkle a few droplets of water across the dough and continue to knead. If the dough is sticky and not totally gathering up into a ball sprinkle additional flour down the edges of the bowl as it is kneading until you achieve the desired result. This dough is correct when it has gathered into a ball and is only slightly sticky.

Fill a large bowl with hot water, dump the water and dry the bowl. Grease the bowl with soft butter or olive oil. Place the dough in the bowl, turn it once to coat, then cover with plastic wrap and set in a warm place to rise for 45-50 minutes until doubled in bulk.

Punch the dough down and divide it into two pieces. Place the two pieces on the work surface and cover loosely with a towel. Let it rest for 10 minutes. (The dough can be refrigerated in an airtight container until ready to use at this point. Remove from the refrigerator and let rest 20 minutes then proceed as the recipe directs.)

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. If you are using a baking stone you need to get it out. If not you need to butter a baking sheet or use silpat mats or parchment paper. 

Working with half of the dough at a time, roll out on a lightly floured surface until 3/4 " to 1" thick.
Cut with a 2 1/2" round cutter. Place on prepared sheet and let rise covered 25-30 minutes more.
If the dough has been in the refrigerator it may need an additional 15 minutes more. Brush the tops with melted butter and bake 25 minutes. Serve immediately

1 comment:

bradys bearss said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.