Translate

10/21/11

Bok Choy and Chicken Chow Mein AND I've Lost 30 Pounds Whoopee!

Bok Choy and Chicken Chow Mein
Whoopee as of today I have lost 30 pounds!!!  I am certainly glad I love vegetables.  Yesterday I decided to make Chow Mien but could not find fresh bean sprouts at the grocery so I just used Bok Choy (Chinese Cabbage) instead.

I was so thrilled when I weighed I told my best friend Diane that I could probably stay on this forever because the strain is lifted weekly on the binge day.  There is strain and for me it starts about Thursday evening.  It is late evening and I want SOMETHING.  I don't particularly know what but something.  The knowledge I can have whatever on Sunday helps so much.  Interestingly enough I don't go all that crazy on Sunday but it is a relief to the system!!

So here was how I made the Chow Mien:

6 chicken thighs, boned, skinned, and diced
4 stalks of celery dices
1 large onion large dice
1 carrot shredded
1 medium head of Bok Choy, washed and sliced in 3/4" pieces
1 can of sliced water chestnuts, drained
1 can of bambo shoots, drained
1 can mushrooms, drained
1 1/2 C. chicken stock
1/4 C. soy sauce
1/4 C. cornstarch
black pepper to taste
2 T. peanut, coconut, or macadamia nut oil for stir fry

Prepared rice or Chow Mien noodles if desired.

Heat wok and add oil.  Stir fry chicken and season with pepper.  When the chicken has browned push it to the side and add the celery and onions and fry for 2-3 additional minutes.  Add the rest of the vegetables and continue to stir fry until tender crisp.

Using a small bowl combine the chicken broth, soy sauce and stir.  Mix the cornstarch in the liquid stirring until completely dissolved.  Add to the vegetables in the wok all at once stirring until it has thickened.  Taste and correct seasonings if needed.  Serve hot alone or over rice or noodles and pass additional soy sauce at the table.  Yields 4 generous servings.



.

No comments: