Translate

10/4/11

Oatmeal Cookies Chocked full of Walnuts, Raisins, Dates, and Spices.

Homemade Oatmeal Cookies
My husband Brian was asking for his favorite cookies to be baked and although I planned to make them for him today it was a long way around to get them done!! There was laundry to start and then of all things I found myself out of brown sugar. So off to town I went.

Just as I was getting them mixed up, low and behold, he called and needed computer help. Our son Joel had gotten his new computer set up for him but he wasn't able to do some things he needed to so off I went again, this time to his place of business. I quickly stowed the finished batter in the refrigerator.

About 3:00 PM. I walked back in the door at home to find the phone was ringing and my dearest friend in the world surprised me with a call. 

Double Bagged Cookie Batter Ready to Freeze 
So at 4 PM I am wondering what the best course might be. I decided to bake off 2 dozen cookies and split the cookie batter in half for freezing. I can't have them on this diet and he won't eat a whole batch all that quickly anyway. 

This is going to work out just fine. I can just pull them out and bake them off as needed.

Here is how I made them today:

1 pound soft butter
2 C. brown sugar
2 C. sugar
1/4 C. molasses
4 large eggs
2 t. vanilla
1 pound raisins
12 oz. chopped dated
1 C. chopped walnuts
2 t. cinnamon
1 t. ginger
1/4 t. cloves
2 t. soda
2 t. salt
4 C. flour
4 C. oats

Note: You can use 2 cups of chocolate chips, cinnamon chips, or additional nuts instead of an equal portion of raisins or dates if desired.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Prepare pans with parchment paper or silpat liners.

Cream butter. Add the sugars and molasses creaming well. Add the eggs beating an additional minute. Add the vanilla, walnuts, raisins, and dates to the mixture. Blend the remaining dry ingredients into the mixture.

Drop by teaspoons full onto cookie sheets, (Lightly grease if you don't prepare as above.) Bake 10 minutes. Do not over bake. Cool on the pan a few minutes before removing to cooling racks.

Yield 6-8 dozen cookies depending on size.



No comments: