Translate

10/23/11

Pickled Peppers

Jalapeno and Chili Peppers.
Brian is nuts about peppers!!  I will admit I like to use them dried in cooking.  I will use them carefully fresh but only after seeding them with care.  When I was young I got them in my eyes once which was no fun at all.  I usually put an old plastic bag (something like a bread sack or produce sack)  over my hands to seed and dice them and pitch the sack.  I have dried enough this year for the whole town but Saturday Brian asked me to put some in brine.

Here is how I did it:

3 C. water
1 C. vinegar
4 T. salt
4 T. sugar

Combine in a saucepan and bring to a boil.

Meanwhile rinse the fresh peppers well and drain them.  Slice into a sterile jar for sliced peppers.  Pack whole peppers tightly into a sterile jar for whole pickled peppers.  SAY THAT FAST!!  Ha Ha.

Pour boiling vinegar into jars leaving 1/4" head space.  Seal with sterile bands and seals.  Process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes to seal.  If you choose not to process refrigerate to keep a few weeks.

No comments: