Translate

10/23/11

INTENSE Orange Tea Bread

This is my very favorite of all quick breads.  If you like an intense orange flavor, relish things like orange marmalade and chocolate covered orange peel this is for you!!

It is a little more time consuming to make but the intense orange flavor is worth it.  I have often thought of adding chocolate chips to the batter to take it over the top but I love it too much as it is to have tried it yet.

I remember having it someplace many, many years ago and then hunting for a recipe to duplicate it for a long time.  I do not remember how or where I found a recipe but I have this old hand copied one I use and I now share it with you. 

Note:  The baking directions say one large loaf.  I always make it into 2  loaves and it will bake much better for you.

Remove the peel from 3 firm plump oranges with a potato peeler.  Cover peel with water in a heavy bottomed pan and bring to a boil.  Pour the water off, return the peel to the pan and cover again with
water.  Bring to a boil, pour the water off and repeat the process a third time.

Chop or grind the drained peel.  (I use the food processor.)

Return the chopped peel to the pan with 1 C. sugar and 1 C. water.  Boil slowly at a simmer until the mixture reduces to 1 cup total being careful not to burn.


Prepare two medium sized loaf pans with butter and flour.  Preheat the oven to 300 Degrees F.

Mix in  a bowl as for a cake the following:

1 C. sugar
2 T. shortening or soft butter
2 beaten eggs

Combine in a medium bowl:
3 1/2 C. all purpose flour
3 1/2 t. baking powder
1 t. salt

Add the dry ingredients alternately with:

1 C. milk

Mixing after each addition.  Add the orange marmalade to the batter, let sit for 20 minutes.

Pour into the prepared pans and bake for 1 1/2 hours until it tests done.  Cool  slice and enjoy.

No comments: