Translate

6/22/13

Rum Cake

This is made from my Mother's Rum Cake Recipe.
Yesterday I got a text from a very dear gal we think the world of....she has been or physician's nurse for a blue moon and she is just a wonderful person.  She was hunting a rum cake and asked if I make one.

Well yes I do, and I've just finished raking through one of my many recipe files until I found my Mother's recipe.  She always made this around the holiday's and it is easy and delicious.  I love it anytime and so I am making one for our friend and I thought you might enjoy it too.

Ingredients for Mother's Rum Cake:

1/2 C. chopped pecans
1 (18 1/2 oz.) butter recipe golden cake mix (I use Duncan Hinds)
1 (3 3/4 oz.) box vanilla instant pudding mix
1/2 C. light rum
1/2 C. water
1/2 C. vegetable oil
4 eggs

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.

Butter and flour well a bundt or 10" x 14" tube pan and set aside.

Crumble the nuts into the bottom of the pan.  Place cake and pudding mixes into a large mixing bowl.  Add rum, water, oil and eggs and mix 2 minutes.  Pour the batter into the prepared pan.  Bake for 50-60 minutes until done.

Ingredients for Hot Rum Glaze:

1 C. sugar
1/4 C. light rum
1 stick of butter
1/4 C. water
1/8 t. butter rum flavor (optional)

Combine the glaze ingredients in a small sauce pan and bring to a boil.  Continue the boil for 3-4 minutes.  Pour over hot cake.

Remove the cake from the oven and immediately pour the hot glaze over the cake.  The hot rum glaze will cause the cake to settle.  Cool the cake for 30 minutes and remove it from the pan onto a flat tray or platter.   

This makes a wonderful dessert any time of year!  It is nice with a dollop of freshly whipped sweet cream.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Tina just texted me that this RUM CAKE was "absolutely delicious". She made my day and made me smile. Thank you Tina! dkc