Translate

6/25/13

Smashed Baked Potato Salad

This salad captures the flavors of twice baked potatoes.
The last time we were in Indianapolis we attended a party at which my niece Melissa brought the most d-e-l-i-c-i-o-u--s potato salad!  Everyone was asking, "Who brought that potato salad?"  Including me!  Melissa explained she had gotten it at the Marsh supermarket deli department!  It was just out of this world and I have been pondering taking a stab at recreating it since then.  Since there is not a Marsh within 200 miles of here I really had no choice.

Tonight Brian is bringing home fried chicken and I need a couple of sides.  

Today the culmination of my planning has come to fruition.  I made extra mashed potatoes the other night to use as well as I baked 2 extremely large extra potatoes last night for supper.  Just now I put it all together and it is truly delicious!

Ingredients for Smashed Baked Potato Salad:

1-2 C. cold mashed potatoes
3-4 C. peeled and diced cold baked potatoes
3 hard cooked eggs chopped
1 stalk celery diced
1 large spring onion diced
1/4 C. pickle relish (*I used my homemade chunky relish)
3/4 C. sour cream
2/3 C. real mayonnaise
generous sprinkling of kosher salt (to taste)
generous sprinkling of freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
options add crumbled cooked bacon, shredded cheese, fresh snipped chives for garnish

Just stir all of these ingredients together in a large bowl until well combined and taste,  If it is a little dry add a tablespoon or two more sour cream and mayonnaise.  Refrigerate until serving time.

*Link to my pickle relish recipe follows:   thehiddenpantry.blogspot.com/2012/07/fresh-cut-chunky-sweet-pickle-relish.html

Note:  This may well be the most delicious way to use left over mashed and left over baked potatoes that there is!

No comments: