Translate

4/27/11

Apricot Wine Jelly with Pineapple and Grapes

You know you can make any liquid "gel". So today I thought I wanted to use up a bottle of Apricot wine with some black seedless grapes and fresh strawberries and just see what I could come up with.
I sprinkled 4 packages of plain gelatin over 1 cup of cold pineapple juice I had strained into a glass bowl. I let it "bloom" for a minute or two as I heated 3 cups of Apricot Wine to a boil. I poured the wine into the gel mixture and stirred it until it was totally dissolved. I added 1 tablespoon of honey and stirred it well again.

It was time to pour into a 4 cup mold so I sliced a few grapes and strawberries into the bottom and covered it to the rim with the wine and juice mixture. After 3-4 hours it was set.

I dipped the mold into warm water and jiggled the mold to loosen the jelly. Fump was the noise I heard as I inverted the mold onto the plate. Perfect.

The taste was not sweet but dry and fruity. Quite lovely. A spring dish in contrast to the awful weather and dreadful storms that keep rolling through.

Next time I will leave out the pineapple juice and be daring. I will just gel the Apricot Wine with the fruit and maybe do them up in pretty wine glasses.......It would be much more attractive, clear and pink and shimmering.............Something to think about.

No comments: