Translate

4/12/11

Berry Berry Granola Bars

Yard work is calling me and my jungle in the family room wants to be moved outdoors. Brian thinks I am early but I can't stand it anymore!!!! They are going outside today. I hope. They just take over.

Well anyway enough about that.

Mother is home from the hospital as of last night and I spoke with Chris our oldest son yesterday afternoon and he still has the bug his young sons have passed him. My sisters, Linda and Sherree said there was nothing in Mom's refrigerator and Chris was going to the market as his cabinets were bare.
Thought I would make some very tasty and nutritious granola bars to send them both. I adapted a granola bar from Ina Garten the Barefoot Contessa I have made in the past. Here is my version.

Ingredients:
2 C. old-fashioned oatmeal
1 C. sliced almonds
1 C. shredded coconut
1/2 C. oat germ
3 T. butter
2/3 C. local honey
1/4 C. light brown sugar packed
1 1/2 t. Tahitian vanilla
1/4 t. kosher salt
1/2 C. dried blueberries
1/2 C. dried strawberries
1/4 C. dried cranberries
1/4 C. diced dried figs

Prepare a baking pan, ideal would be a 8" x 12", by buttering it then lining it with parchment paper and set it aside.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Toss the oatmeal, almonds, coconut, and oat bran onto a sheet pan and stir them up a bit spreading it out evenly. Bake for 10-12 minutes stirring occasionally. When lightly browned transfer the mixture to a large mixing bowl.

Reduce the oven temperature to 300 degrees F.

Place the honey, butter, brown sugar, vanilla, and salt in a small saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat. Cook and stir for a minute, then pour over the toasted oatmeal mixture. Add the fruit and stir together well.

Pour the mixture into the parchment lined pan. Wet your fingers and lightly press the mixture evenly into the pan. Bake for 25-35 minutes, until a golden brown. Cool for at least 2-3 hours before cutting into bars. Serve at room temperature.


I wrap all of the bars in waxed paper so they each have their own wrapper. Then I place them in an air tight container.

No comments: