Translate

4/22/11

Egg Sandwich on Good Friday

Hard Boiled Egg Sandwich on Homemade Bread.
One of my very favorite sandwiches is the hard boiled egg sandwich made as my Mother made them at home. It is simple but as with so many things, the devil is in the details!! 


First you need the finest of farm eggs. I have it covered. Mike our middle son brings them to me from a local farmer and they are wonderful. The yolk stands tall when cracked open and the color is that of the yellow orange orange embers as they fade in the fire. The flavor is rich and full. 


I hard boil 2 eggs by covering them with salted water and bringing them to a boil in a covered pan. Then I turn the fire off at the boiling point and let then sit covered for exactly 10 minutes then drain the hot water from them and rinse them in cold water until they are cool enough to handle and shell.


Next I sliced the best bread I can find. In this case the last of the loaf I made yesterday. (NOTE: The previous recipe.) Slather it with mayonnaise and blanket one half with the sliced eggs and the outer side with washed crisp lettuce. Salt lightly using kosher salt and sprinkle with freshly ground black pepper. 


Ahhhh. Such a wonderful sandwich. Have a Blessed Easter.