Translate

4/16/11

Chicken Enchiladas

I have thought it a weird week in terms of what I could get done and in terms of my moods. For instance I can't really say what is up but things have not "flowed" in their normal fashion. I never had a clear thought of what to cook so I just thawed out a chicken and figured something would come to me, as it did.
I took to vacuming like a mad woman one day and not only vacumed the entire second story of the house but vacumed the entire ceiling and a lot of the walls. Sounds a bit like spring fever now that I sit here and think about it. That was as far as I got though.
There are 3 hummingbird feeders all washed and waiting to be filled and hung and the food mixture is on the kitchen cabinet and still waits for me to, DO SOMETHING WITH IT!!
All of those dozens of house plants I wanted to move outside are still sitting inside.....I could go on but won't.
Back to the chicken. I stuck him in a dutch oven, seasoned him up good, and added 1 C. of water. I covered the pan and baked him at 325 degrees F. for about an hour and a quarter until his legs moved easily and the juices ran clear. After he cooled a bit I placed hi in a plastic bag and deposited him into my refrigerator and forgot him until the next day as my lovong husband called and said he was picking up a pizza on the way home and I didn't need to cook. Sweet man of mine.
The next day I boned the chicken and strained off about 1 1/2 C. of lovely broth which I refrigerated for another day.
I set about to make the enchiladas:
1 boned chicken
1 pkg. corn tortillas (16 or 18)
1 chopped onion
1 clove garlic mashed
2 T. olive oil
32 oz. canned tomatoes
15 oz. tomato sauce
2, 4 oz. cans green chopped chilies
1 T. sugar
1 t. cumin
1/2 t. oregano
1/2 t. basil
1/2 t. cilantro
1/4 t. salt
8 oz. shredded cheese
Saute the onion and garlic in the oil then set aside. Place the tomators in a blender or processor and puree. Add the onion mixture, sauce, chilies, sugar, and seasonings and process until blended and smooth. Transfer to a medium sized heavy bottomed sauce pan and bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer for 1 hour stirring occasionally.
Spoon a tablespoon and a half of both chicken and cheese into each tortilla and roll it placing the seam side down in a buttered 9" x 13" x 2" baking dish. Pour the sauce over the enchiladas and sprinkle with additional cheese. Bake uncovered at 350 degrees F for 35-40 minutes.

Remove and serve with sour cream if desired as well as a green salad. Yield 6-8 servings.


No comments: