Translate

9/18/13

EASY Slice and Bake Chocolate-Wafer Cookies, Grandaughter Tested and Approved with a BIG Thumbs Up and a Smile.

Maybe a year ago I purchased a terrific cook book that we have enjoyed and to date have not been disappointed with!  It is called "Make -A-Mix" by Karine Eliason, Nevada Harwood, & Madeline Westover and it exactly as the title implies a book of mixes to make at home.  We have especially enjoyed the brownie mix and the frozen cheese sauce.

This is a cookie recipe I have long had my eye on to adapt for our family.  First because it calls for cocoa and I prefer the flavor of recipes calling for cocoa, secondly because it seems to be along the lines of a butter cookie that would be easy to handle in shaping.

Easy to work dough.
As I mixed it up I found this to be true!  Not a dry crumby dough and not a slack overly loose and sticky dough,,,,but just right and easily formed into rolls to freeze and slice.

Forms beautifully into logs.
I also LOVE freezing rolls of cookie dough to slice.  So easy and convenient!  I am on my second roll of Reynold's Wraps Non-Stick Foil and it was just great to just spoon the dough out onto in 4 equal portions.  (Although the cookbook recommends plastic wrap or waxed paper.)

Ready to freeze and store.
Then I formed the 4 handy rolls and popped them into the freezer.  I think these will make perfect ice cream sandwiches,  crumbs to form pie crusts,  and just plain good cookies for dessert and treats.


Ingredients for Slice and Bake Chocolate-Wafer Cookies:
2 C. butter at room temperature
2  1/2 C. sugar
3 large eggs
2 t. vanilla
5 C. flour
1 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt
1  1/4 C. unsweetened cocoa powder

Cut 4,  14" x 12"  pieces of plastic wrap, waxed paper, or foil and set aside.  Using a large mixing bowl and mixer combine the butter, sugar, eggs, and vanilla creaming until very light and fluffy.  A stand mixer is handy for this if you have one available.    In another bowl sift or put through a sieve the flour, salt, soda, and unsweetened cocoa.  Slowly add the dry ingredients and stir to combine well.

Spoon the dough equally onto the 4 pieces of wrap and form into logs of dough 8-10" long.  Wrap each roll securely and package for freezing as needed.  ( If using plastic or waxed paper wrap again or place in a plastic freezer container or sealed plastic bag.)  Label and date contents.  Store in the freezer and use within 6 months.   The 4 rolls of dough yields about 12 dozen cookies.


To make Chocolate-Wafer Cookies:

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F  (175C).  Use parchment paper lined baking sheets, silpat mats, or lightly grease pans.  Slice the frozen dough into 1/4" rounds.  Arrange on prepared baking sheets about 1/2 " apart.  Bake 8-10 minutes until cookies are set on edges and slightly firm top.  Remove cookies and cool on racks.  Makes about 36 cookies.

I like that there are 3 remaining rolls of cookie dough made up and ready in my freezer.
I like that one roll is enough for just the 2 of us or bake more for company.
I like that they are versatile and yummy too.










1 comment:

Unknown said...

Just made the dough and it's in the freezer now. Tasted like brownie mix to me! How can you go wrong with that?! These are one of the 12 cookies I'm making for my Christmas cookie tins this year. Once they cool after baking I'm going to dip them in white chocolate and garnish with crushed peppermint!