|These make great gifts.|
For gift ideas here is a link to an earlier post with another version of these bags I made as gifts. thehiddenpantry.blogspot.com/2011/01/other-drawers-in-my-pantry.html
The most important thing I can urge you to go is to use 100% cotton fabric, thread, and batting. Otherwise the materials may not do too well in the microwave!
1. You need to cut from the fabric you choose for the outside of your bag a 9"x 22" piece. Than another piece of the same or a contrasting fabric the same size. Lastly cut the same size piece of 100 % cotton batting (like you would use in a quilt.)
2. Next press the 2 pieces of cotton fabric and place them together with the 2 right sides of the fabric facing each other. Place the batting on top.
3. Sew the 9" ends together with a 1/4" seam.
4. Turn the right sides of the fabric out with the batting at the center. Press the stack of fabrics.
5. Top stitch 1/2" along both of the stitched 9" edges.
|This is showing you the "right sides" of the bag are to the inside facing each other when you turn down the 1 1/2" end and the "wrong side" in on the outside.|
7. Sew the long side seams together using a 1/2" seam, stitching through all of the layers. Double stitch both seams. (Sew a second line almost on top of the first.)
8. Turns right side out and it is finished and ready to use!
|The 2 bags on the right are the ones these directions yield. The smaller bag was a lot more work and smaller too.|
Care instructions: Machine wash in cold water and dry in warm dryer.
There have been directions printed but please keep in mind NEVER leave anything like this unattended in the microwave and be especially careful with children. Microwaves vary in strength and I would experiment a bit and take these as guidelines or suggestions only.
Cooking Guidelines and Suggestions:
Potatoes, 2 large=6-8 minutes
Sweet Potatoes, 2 medium=7-9 minutes
Rolls, 3 medium=20 seconds
Tortillas, 1 package=30 seconds
Corn on the cob, 2 large=4-6 minutes
The estimates are based on a 1100 Watt microwave with a turntable. If there is no turn table turn the bag over half way through the time. Wash vegetables but don't dry them the moisture helps in cooking.