Translate

6/25/10

Cinnamon and Sugar Scones

There are several things I like about these and cinnamon and sugar is a big one for me.  I think the smell of cinnamon sugar in the oven is the most delicious aroma!!  Several members of our family are big cinnamon fans and these freeze to be baked up 30 minutes before you need them. Wow!!  Lots to love in this one.

My first choice for cinnamon chips is the ones from King Arthur Flour but you cannot successfully order them in the summer as you will get a pkg. of melted glop.  You need to order a supply during cool season to tide you through or I found some at my local supermarket made by Hershey.
so here is the recipe.  It is adapted from one I saw somewhere and from one from King Arthur.

SCONES
1 C. cinnamon chips
2 3/4 C. my favorite King Arthus all purpose Flour
1/2 C. sugar
1 T. baking powder
1/2 t. salt
1/2 C. (1 stick) cold butter quartered lengthwise and cut into dice
2 large eggs beaten
1/2 C. milk
1 1/2 t. vanilla

FILLING
1/2 C. sugar
1/4 C. brown sugar
2 T. cinnamon
1 1/2 T. water

GLAZE
2 C. sifted powdered sugar
2-3 T. milk

Whisk together in a large mixing bowl flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.  Using a pastry cutter or forks mix in the cold butter  until it is crumbly but not uniform.  Add the eggs and vanilla to the milk and stir to combine.  Add wet ingredients to the flour butter mixture and combine then stir in the cinnamon chips.  Everything should be just moistened and hold together.

Turn out onto a WELL FLOURED work surface.  Pat into a 9" square.   Mix the filling ingredients.  Being careful not to add too much liquid.  This should NOT be runny but more like damp sand.   Spread the filling over the dough.  Fold one edge to the center and over the filling.  Fold the remaining edge over the center to complete the three fold.   Pat roll to a 3" x 18" rectangle.

Cut into six 3" squares, then cut in half diagonally.  Transfer to parchment lined sheet.  If you want to bake these off now you still need to put them in the freezer for 30 minutes for the best rise.  Bake in a preheated 425 degree F oven for 16 to 20 minutes.

OR!!  As I do freeze them all!!  Then I wrap each one in waxed paper and drop them all in a zip lock freezer bag.  In the morning when I am stumbling around all I need to do is preheat the oven and drink a cup of coffee while 4 or 5 of them bake and my house smells like a little bit of heaven.

Mix up a little icing and drizzle them up a bit!!  I do brush them with cream or milk before I bake them just to aid the browning.  These are a treat.

No comments: