Translate

6/26/10

Light and Golden Burger Buns



One of my pet peeves is big gloppy burger buns.  So when I saw this I knew I would try it as I love to make bread.  This is also a very fragrant recipe and you will love the bread smells your oven will treat you with.  Here are the ingredients you will need:



3 T. warm milk ( I microwave for 40 seconds in a tea cup)
1 C. warm water from the tap
2 t. instant yeast
2 1/2 T. sugar
1 1/2 t. salt
1 large egg at room temperature
3 C. bread flour (I prefer King Arthur)
1/3 C. all-purpose flour (I prefer King Arthur)
2 1/2 T. soft butter

For the topping:
1 large egg beaten with 1 T. water for egg wash
sesame seeds

Add the milk, water, yeast, sugar, salt, and egg to the bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle attachment and mix briefly to combine.  Add the flours to the bowl and mix until incorporated.  Mix in the soft butter.  Switch to dough hook and knead on low speed for 7 minutes.  The dough is slack and a bit tacky but you want to avoid adding extra flour which will create tough buns.

I use a heavy crock for the rise process.  I sit it down in the sink and fill it with hot water from the tap and then I quickly empty the water and dry the crock with a clean towel.  The crock retains the warmth and starts off the dough for a good rise.  Oil the bowl well and transfer the dough into the prepared bowl.  I cover this with plastic wrap then a clean towel to retain and insulate the warmth.  Put it in a warm draft free place to rise for 1-2 hours.  (I leave for 2)

Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.  Using a dough scraper or knife, divide to dough into 8 equal portions.  Gently form each piece into a ball and place on the baking sheet 2-3" apart.  Cover loosely with oiled plastic wrap and let rise again 1-2 hours until puffed and nearly doubled.

Set a large metal pan of water  on the lowest rack of the oven.  Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.   with the baking rack in the center of the oven.  Brush the tops of the buns lightly with the egg wash and sprinkle with sesame seeds.  Bake about 15 minutes until golden brown.  Cool completely on a rack. They are really good!!

Note this recipe has been adapted from recipes seen in Annie's Eats and Smitten Kitchen.

No comments: