Translate

9/25/11

Apple Pie Baked in a Brown Paper Bag with Streusel Topping!! No Muss No Fuss.

This delicious pie made no mess in my oven from overflowing juices!!
Apple pie baked in a brown paper bag.....I had not tried this although I have prepared turkey in a paper bag and I have put chicken in a paper bag. Sounds like a great idea and I have the apples and 3 frozen pie crust disks from the pie pastry recipe from last weekend. I saw the recipe on the King Arthur Flour website and adapted my recipe to be baked in a bag.

Since I am a little tired from 4+ hours traveling yesterday to attend our families reunion this is an easy decision for me. So I set about to peel apples and defrost a pastry round. It won't take long because I have already put on a Swiss Steak for tonight's dinner and so the oven is hot and the kitchen is warm.

The pastry recipe is given on 10/29/10 and is titled Pastry for Three Crusts. I have defrosted one, rolled it and lined a 10" extra deep pie plate. Return the pastry to the refrigerator for now and preheat the oven to 425 Degrees F.

Filling:

4-5 pounds of cooking apples, Johnathan, Golden Delicious, Jonagold etc. = 8-9 C. sliced, peeled, and cored apples
1 C. sugar
1/4 C. brown sugar
1 1/2 t. Cinnamon
1/2 t. salt
1/4 C. cornstarch
1 T. vanilla

Stir all of these ingredients together well in a large microwave proof bowl and microwave the filling uncovered on high for 5 minutes and stir again well. You can skip this step but it does soften the apples and get the juices flowing. 

Spoon the filling into the chilled pastry and set aside.

Topping:

1/2 C. sugar
1/2 C. flour
1/4 C. brown sugar
1/4 t. cinnamon
1/2 C. cold butter cut into dice

Combine all ingredients with a fork or pastry cutter until it becomes a crumble, like pea size lumps.
Spoon over the pie filling.

Before baking slide the pie into a brown paper bag to cook.
Put the pie in a large brown paper bag and set the bag onto a cookie sheet. Secure the bag with staples or paperclips.

Bake for 1 hour.

Remove from the oven and carefully open the bag. There is a bit of steam so beware and be careful!!! Remove the pie from the sack and set it on a rack to cool. I serve with whipped cream or ice cream.

By the way it was absolutely delicious!!
Yield 8-10 servings.




No comments: