Translate

9/23/11

Cinnamon Molasses Blondies with Walnuts Just Feels like Fall!!

Heady aromas of cinnamon and molasses and chopped English walnuts give this bar cookie flavor plus!!
Golden rays of sunshine are streaming through the golden leaves as they change color on the dogwoods in my yard. I need an extra cup of coffee to get going and sleep a bit sounder these fall days. Desires for cinnamon and things baked in the oven play hide and seek in my consciousness as I go about my other tasks.

We have a family reunion to attend Saturday if Brian gets to feeling well enough to go. I am going ahead and do a bit of baking and if we don't go I am sure I can find someone to eat them!!

So my selection is a Cinnamon laced Blondie with a hint of molasses and studded with walnuts. I first saw this cookie on a blog called Chasing Delicious and have adapted it to our tastes.

Ingredients:

2 C. flour (King Arthur all purpose is my preference)
2 t. baking powder
1/2 t. salt
1 1/2 t. cinnamon (Saigon is preferable)
2 sticks very soft butter (leave out overnight)
2 C. sugar
1/4 C. molasses
2 lg. eggs
1 1/2 t. vanilla (Tahitian)
1 1/2 C. chopped walnuts

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare a 9 x 13 " pan by lining it completely bottom and sides with heavy duty aluminum foil. Spray with a nonstick vegetable spray and set aside for now.

Fully line 9 x 13" pan with foil.
Combine the flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon and set aside. 

Beat the butter and sugar together with an electric mixer and add the molasses while continuing to beat. Add the eggs one at a time and beat until all is well blended. Stir in the vanilla. 

On lowest speed blend in the flour mixture and then the walnuts just until incorporated. Do not over mix.

When fully cool peel back the foil.
Pour the batter, it will be stiff, into the prepared pan and spread evenly. Bake 25 minutes and test with a pick. The pick should be dirty but not runny or wet. Cool completely before inverting the pan. Lift the pan off then remove the foil. Invert again so it is right side up then cut into bars.

My yield was 36 bar cookies.
You house will fill with the divine aromas of this bar cookie long before you have the pleasure of tasting them. What a two fold treat!!

No comments: