Translate

9/8/11

Three Cookie Recipes, Soft Sugar Cookies, "Forgotten Cookies," and Brownie Drops.

Forgotten Cookies and German Chocolate Brownie Bites
I am on the prowl for new cookie recipes that might appeal to little ones. Meaning terrific taste, not overly messy, and shippable or transportable!!

Big Soft Sugar Cookies
My husband Brian and anyone who is handy have become OFFICIAL TASTE TESTERS for me as I am still dieting. I can't wait for Sunday (binge day) to taste for myself!!

"Cooking with Big Love" is a cookbook put out in 1978 by the ladies of the Lutheran Church I was raised in and my Mother still belongs too in Noblesville, Indiana. I have found several rather interesting and somewhat unique recipes that I have adapted for today's baking!!

The first is for a Soft Sugar Cookie and is interesting because of the ingredients. It calls for oil (I used Canola) and buttermilk rather than shortening or butter and you scoop the batter out in a 1/4 C. measure to form big soft cookies I embellished with sugar sprinkles.

Here is my version: SOFT SUGAR COOKIE

1 C. vegetable oil
1 C. sugar
2 eggs
1 C. buttermilk
1 t. soda
3 C. flour
1 T. baking powder
1/2 T. vanilla

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

Using an electric mixer combine the oil, sugar, and eggs until creamy. Stir together the buttermilk and soda and add immediately to the oil mixture. Mix together the flour and baking powder and add to the batter. Fold in the vanilla.

Even using half sheet pans and 1/4 C. measure you can only bake 6 cookies at a time.
Pour by 1/4 C. measuring cup onto an ungreased cookie sheet, forming only 6 per pan. Sprinkle the cookie tops with sugar and bake for 8 minutes. These are enormous cookies.  I used a 1/4 C. measure and they are about 5-6" across!! Yield 18 giant cookies.

Offset spatulas help loosen large cookies.
Using the offset spatula to loosen them helped to remove them intact and with ease.  Just run it all of the way around the plate sized cookies before removing them with a spatula.

Yellow and Orange Fall colored sprinkles made for a festive cookie.
I expect the little ones will have to have these enormous cookies cut in half while Grandpa will gulp them down just like the big boys do. 


My next "FIND" was Forgotten Cookies which fascinated me from the start!! When I read the recipe I thought they would be great for anyone pressed for time. YOU BAKE THEM IN THE EVENING AND LEAVE THEM OVERNIGHT IN THE TURNED OFF OVEN!! They are ready to go next morning, just remove fro the pan. They have to be great, sweet crunchy clouds with tiny chocolate chips. Away I tried them and was not disappointed!!


Forgotten Cookies couldn't be a quicker to mix and easier to bake treat.
Here is my take on the FORGOTTEN COOKIES:

2 egg whites
2/3 C. sugar
1 small bag of mini chocolate chips
1 t. vanilla

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. before you start!!

Completely cover cookie sheets with aluminum foil.

Forgotten Cookies do not spread or rise so more can be placed on the baking sheet.
Beat the egg whites. Slowly add the sugar, then add the vanilla. Keep beating until very stiff. (The batter should stand up like pointy little mountains that don't lean over when you remove the beater.
Stir in the chocolate chips. Drop the mixture by teaspoon full onto the prepared cookie sheet. Place the cookies in the hot oven.  Yielded  28 cookies.

IMMEDIATELY TURN OFF THE OVEN AND DO NOT OPEN THE DOOR UNTIL THE NEXT MORNING.  Just remove from the pan and you've got treats any child will love.

NOTE:  Egg whites have a lot of proteins and nutritional value.




German Chocolate is the main ingredient in these delightful cookies.
Last but not least this recipe called to ME.  A few years back my newest daughter-in-law, Julie brought a lovely brownie type cookie she had baked in the bottom of a cupcake pan that was brownie like and really yummy.  Since then I have been on the lookout for a chocolate brownie type cookie and this one fills the bill.

BROWNIE DROPS:

2 (4 oz.) bars German Chocolate
1 T. butter
3/4 C. sugar
1/4 t. baking powder
3/4 C. chopped pecans if desired (I used walnuts instead.)
2 eggs
1/4 C. flour
1/4 t. vanilla
dash of Cinnamon
pinch of salt

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease baking pans.

Melt chocolate and butter in a double boiler. Beat eggs until foamy and then add the sugar, 2 T. at a time; beat until thickened. Blend in the chocolate; add the flour, baking powder Cinnamon , and salt mixing well. Stir in the vanilla and the nuts, if desired.

Shinny fudge like batter marks this cookie.
Drop by teaspoon fulls onto a greased cookie sheet. Bake for 8-10 minutes until cookie feels soft when lightly touched at the center. Cool and store in an airtight container.  Yield 30 cookies.


That is all for today's baking and I hope you will try one of these and enjoy them!!

2 comments:

Russell said...

Now this is my kind of post! I absolutely love cookies and getting three recipes at once, yum! These recipes look scrumptious too. I will have to give them a try asap. Thanks for sharing

Unknown said...

Glad you like the post!! My three year old little twin grandsons loved them too. One likes the forgotten cookies best and the other the brownie bites best!! So they will remain in my ""do again" file. Thanks again. PS: Grandpa likes the sugar cookies the best!!