Translate

9/6/11

Day 9, Food and Thoughts on the DIET, or How Many Ways Can I Eat Eggs?

Tomatoes and Eggs.
Nine days have passed since I committed to the slow carb diet and every day I seem to see or realize something new I either missed or that makes sense to me. 

I have never been a breakfast every morning kind of girl, more like 2 cups of black coffee and I am good to go!

I have learned there are lots of things I like to scramble into eggs. Diced green onions and Shitake mushrooms are my favorite so far. I cannot bring myself to add beans or peas to breakfast but the veggies sauteed and scrambled are quite doable. I do not get hungry at all if I get breakfast in within the prescribed 30 minutes to an hour after waking up. No hunger for hours, until maybe 2 or 3 in the afternoon before there is even an inkling of hunger.

No toast and no sandwiches is difficult. They were easy and a habit. 

Now lunch is the biggest challenge because I am not hungry in 4-5 hours, I have to stop and make something instead of grabbing something.

I am leaning towards homemade soups to be a partial remedy. Chili without pasta, vegetable beef without potatoes, ham and beans, and split pea soup all seem to fall within the perimeters of the diet.
Yesterday I made my first pot of chili as the temperature dropped over 30 degrees to the 60's and last night we dropped into the 50's!! (Last week we hit 100 degrees.) It was great for supper and will be a great lunch today and perhaps tomorrow. 

Yesterday I made a small chef's salad for lunch that included lettuce, tomatoes, carrots, celery, diced chicken and ham, and a hard cooked egg. As I finished it the light came on as I realized I should have added either a spoonful of cold drained kidney beans or some thawed peas to have gotten it just right!!

After a lot of thought I have decided mood swings are my enemy and to just be very matter of fact and methodical is the best way for me to achieve success. I have told myself 4 months is the first goal then I will decide where to go from there.  (I will either be satisfied with the results and quit, continue,  or modify.) I have also decided not to weigh myself until the week before Christmas as that is the marker I am setting. No highs from losses and no lows for lack of loss, just steady as she goes I am thinking!!

The thing is, I have not cheated and do not intend to.

The binge day was a breeze and compared to the binge days detailed in, "The 4 hour Diet," by Tim Ferriss. I had the regular breakfast as prescribed followed by a glass of grapefruit juice. Then lunch was a beloved sandwich, ham salad, yummo!! For supper my hearts desire was a cheeseburger and fries from Steak and Shake with a cherry coke!! Am I easy or what?? Dessert was of course the delectable Jar of Pecan Pie, and was it ever good!! (My last post.)

My challenge will be when I take a trip and am not at home. I will have to suck it up, put on my big girl panties, and I guess we will all see what I am made of won't we??

No comments: