Translate

4/2/13

Vegetables, Asparagus, Broccoli, Carrots, and More

Bacon makes everything even better!
We really were relatively new to asparagus.  It was not in our home gardens when we were kids.  But we discovered it a few years back and now enjoy it several different ways.  This is my adaptation of a Trisha Yearwood recipe.   It was shown on her TV program a week ago Sunday.  I cut the recipe in half for the two of us.  I also used half strips of bacon for each bundle thus requiring 3 strips of bacon for 6 bundles.

Asparagus Bundles:

2 pounds fresh asparagus, washed and trimmed
12 slices of bacon
1/2 C. brown sugar, light
1 stick butter (1/2 cup)
1 T. soy sauce
1/2 t, garlic powder
1/4 t. black pepper

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.  Separate the asparagus into 12 bundles.  Wrap 1 slice  of bacon around each bundle and secure with a tooth pick.  Lay the bundles in a 9" x 13" baking dish.

Using a medium sized saucepan, mix the sugar, butter, soy sauce, garlic, and pepper.  Bring the sauce to a boil.  Pour the hot mixture over the asparagus bundles.  Place the dish in the oven and roast until the asparagus is tender and the bacon is cooked, turning the bundles once midway through the roasting.  Total cooking time is about 25-30 minutes.  You may want to remove the tooth picks before serving,  Yield 6 servings.


It has occurred to me that all of the vegetables I can currently think of are very delicious roasted in the oven!  My families favorite is roasted  carrots.  So today I am making a vegetable heavy supper staring roasted carrots.

As it happens I am again this week doing the " THREE DAY DIET " it is my day two of it.  The first was successful with a very respectable loss of 4.8 pounds,  not the 10 as advertised buy I really didn't buy that in the first place!

At any ate today's supper is carrots and broccoli.


 
I love this picture! The carrots, spatter ware, and droplets of water.
The CARROTS:

Any amount of peeled carrots cut into whatever shape you like.  (Today I basically cut them into quarters.)

1-2 T. Olive oil

Salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.  Drizzle a bit of oil across the bottom of a rimmed baking sheet.  Toss the carrots in the oil to lightly coat and sprinkle with salt and pepper.  Roast 45-60 minutes until tender and just starting to caramelize.  We like them best when they get brown around the edges.


This is exactly how I make the broccoli and the cheese sauce I keep ready in the freezer.
The BROCCOLI:

1 bunch of broccoli rinsed, peeled, and cut into serving size pieces

2-3 T. water

2 cloves of fresh garlic, peeled and minced

1/4 t. red pepper flakes

salt and pepper to taste

Toss the broccoli into a covered microwave proof dish.  Sprinkle with the garlic, red pepper flakes, salt, and black pepper.  Add the water.  Cover and microwave on high heat 7 to 10 minutes, depending on the desired tenderness you like.  When I am dieting I do not include the cheese sauce on my portion of the broccoli.

Sweet potatoes, onions, white potatoes, tomatoes, cabbage, string beans, turnips, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, broccoli, and sugar snap peas are all vegetables I have roasted as the above carrots were and are excellent prepared this way. 

I like to do frozen vegetables and broccoli in the microwave and often add cheese sauce or plain cheese to it  for the last few minutes.

WE ALSO USE THE FROZEN CHEESE SAUCE I KEEP MADE UP ON THE BROCCOLI QUITE OFTEN.  www.thehiddenpantry.blogspot.com/2012/10/cheese-sauce-recipe-for-now-and-for.html


No comments: