Translate

6/6/12

German Meatballs with a Salad (Easy 4 Ingredients Crock Pot Meal)

Bursting with onion flavor these beefy meatballs are an old family favorite.
Yesterday late afternoon my hubby was released from the Heart Hospital here and happily home we came!!  We were greeted by Molly and her wagging tail and a house run a muck with papers, dirty laundry, and a waiting grocery list.  Brian settled in his big chair with the remote control and I set about to figure out something for supper.

This recipe was given to me by my friend Janet Wymer when I was in my early 20's and I have fixed it every since.  It is delicious for a change of pace from Italian meatballs.  This is filled with the goodness of sweet onions and makes a flavorful beefy onion gravy that the meatballs simmer in as they cook.  The rice and vermicelli in the meatballs negate the need for another side dish so I just add a salad.  This also smells wonderful as it cooks, reheats well, and freezes well.  (Easy to see why I have kept it in my arsenal!)

German Meatball Ingredients:

2 pounds lean ground beef
1 egg
1 box Beef Rice-a- Roni
1 envelope Lipton Onion Soup Mix

Place 4 C. of water in a Crock pot or pan to simmer over lowest heat on the stove.  Turn the crock pot on high to start.  Add the flavor packet from the Rice-a-Roni and the envelope of onion soup mix to the water and stir. 

Using a large bowl mix the rice and vermicelli, egg, and ground beef and form into walnut sized meatballs.  Gently drop them into the hot broth.  Simmer 4-8 hours on lowest setting of crock pot or until done on the stove at the lowest heat setting.  You don't need to turn until they are done just to moisten uniformly.  Pair with your favorite dinner salad and your meal is complete.  I pass the gravy on the side for those who like to "sop up" it's goodness.

Yield 6 servings.

No comments: