Translate

6/15/12

Hawaiian Bread in the Bread Machine

This loaf is sweet and fragrant and has a lovely "chew" and texture.
I came across this recipe while perusing Suburbhomestead's Blog.  I was inspired to give it a whirl and made it my own!

Ingredients for Hawaiian Bread made in the Bread Machine and Baked in my oven:

1 C. Scalded 2 % or whole milk
1 large egg (from local farmer if possible)
2 T. butter
1/2 C. vanilla sugar ( just add a tiny drop of vanilla if you do not have this made up)
3/4 t. kosher salt
3 C. King Arthur Organic All Purpose Flour or Bread Flour
4 t. Laura Brody's bread dough enhancer or powdered gluten
1 scant T. instant yeast

Add the ingredients as your bread machine maker suggests and set the machine on the dough cycle.

Upon completion of the cycle remove and shape to a loaf of your choosing. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F for at least 10 minutes.  I use a baking stone for round loaves so I put it into the oven when I set it to preheat.  When the loaf has been shaped I set it upon parchment paper spread across a  peel or cookie sheet.  Sprinkle the paper with a bit of corn meal or flour place the loaf then cover it for the rise of 45 minutes or until doubled in bulk.

After the dough has risen I slide the parchment from the peel onto the hot stone and bake for 35-40 minutes until done. (I like a deep dark crust.)  After removing from the oven brush the top with additional soft butter if desired.

Do not be afraid to open your bread machine and touch the dough.  Because of the variance in humidity and flour you may need to add as much as 1/2 cup additional flour.  The dough should not be sticky but soft like a baby's bottom.

Note:  This smells like heaven baking.  The lingering smell of the yeast and hint of the sweet vanilla, aha.

No comments: