Translate

6/9/12

Old Fashioned Mayonnaise Cake (EASY)

My friend Joyce called me one day this past week to let me know she has resigned from her job and is going to do a bit of traveling.  In the course of the conversation she mentioned "Mayonnaise Cake" and in fact suggested I share that recipe with you.  I remembered it was on a torn 3" x 5" card and after hunting it a good while, here it is!!  I am going to make it right now but first I will type in the recipe to share.

Don't have a clue why I haven't made it for a while.  It is easy and it is really good.  I got the recipe in 1974 from a neighbor, Connie Croyle while we lived in Fort Wayne, Indiana.  I remember it well as that is when and where our youngest son Joel was born.  (My baby, as I call him, is now 6' 4" grown married man.)

Mayonnaise Cake Ingredients:

1 C. sugar
4 T. cocoa or 2 squares unsweetened chocolate (I use cocoa)
1 C. cold water
1 1/2 t. baking soda
7/8 C. Miracle Whip
2 C. flour
pinch of salt

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Prepare a 9' x 13" pan by greasing and flouring it or use baking spray, then set aside.

Stir all of the dry ingredients together and whisk until just combined.  Add the Miracle whip and water and beat a minute or two with an electric mixer. Pour into prepared pan and bake until pick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean, about 30-35 minutes.  Cool completely and frost.

I had a little more than a pint of frosting left in the refrigerator from it's use as filling (option #2) in Oatmeal Whoopee Pies on 6/1/12.   I let it come to room temperature and it was just perfect for topping a 9" x 13" cake.

Note:  I have also made this and used Hellman's Mayonnaise ans it was fine.

No comments: