Translate

6/17/12

Green Beans and Chicken Stir Fry

I never can find enough new and interesting ways to use green beans or blueberries.  This stir fry is a little different and really enjoyed by everyone I have made it for.  I always think of old friends,  or meals  shared, and gatherings when I make a dish and friends and family I may not have seen for a while.  My old boss and friend Natalie comes to mind when I make this one as she LOVED it!  So, where ever you are and whatever you are doing Nat, I am thinking of you today.

Ingredients:

1 pound chicken breast or thighs sliced for stir fry (skin and bones removed)
1 pound fresh green beans washed, stemmed and broken
1 large sweet onion cut to your preference
3 T. cornstarch
3 T. soy sauce
1 t. garlic powder
1/2  t. black pepper
1 C. cool water
1 T. bead molasses (optional, for color)
2-3 T. vegetable oil or chili oil

4 C. prepared rice

Start the rice according to package directions.  Draw the water and add to a medium bowl.  Add the soy sauce and stir.  Add the cornstarch, spices, and bead molasses and mix well, then sit aside. Meanwhile heat wok or large flat bottomed pan and add oil.


Stir fry the chicken until no longer pink then add the green beans and onions and continue to cook.  When the vegetables are tender crisp I turn off the heat until the rice is done.  When the rice is ready turn the heat back up and quickly heat through.  Add the reserved sauce and bring to a boil stirring until thickened and clinging to the vegetables.  Spoon over hot rice and serve.  Yield 3-4 servings.  Pass additional Soy Sauce at the table.  This is also good over Chow Mein Noodles or any noodle your family enjoys.

Helpful Hint:  I almost always break, blanch, shock, and drain my green beans right away when I get them then store them in a plastic bag in the refrigerator until I am ready to use them.  It makes the actual cooking go even quicker. 



No comments: