Translate

10/24/12

Apple Pie Quick & Easy, Or as the Third Little Pig Found, "All the Work and Preperation Pays Off."

Apple Pie made with homemade canned apple pie filling and homemade frozen pie crust.
I was so very happy yesterday while fixing a family dinner for six.  We had planned it because Sunday didn't work out.  I pulled two of the pie crusts I had previously made and frozen and laid them on the kitchen counter to thaw. There are several recipes I use and have given that you might like,  Pie Crust for 4-5 on 7/7/10,   Pastry for 3 Crusts on 2/12/12,   or Cherry Hand Pies, Lard Pie Crust for 4.  Any of these work perfectly.

Next I walked to the cabinet where I had stored my canned goods and pulled out a quart of the Cinnamon Apple Pie Filling I had canned a few weeks earlier.  That recipe is Canning Cinnamon Apple Pie Filling and was given on 8/29/12.  This is the first day I opened a jar to try it out!  Of course I had tasted it and thought it quite good.

Ingredients for Quick and Easy Apple Pie:

2 pie crusts thawed
1 quart apple pie filling
1 T. butter divided into small portions
Cinnamon and sugar, optional

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.  Using a lightly floured board and rolling pin roll the first crust to fit a 9" pie plate.  Fold the pastry in half or roll it onto the pin and lift it onto the pie plate.  Do not trim the edges just set it to the side.  Roll the second crust to fit the top.  Cut small  decorative slits into the top crust to let the steam escape while baking.

Open the filling jar and pour the apples into the prepared pastry lined plate.  Dot with the butter evenly across the top. 

Lift the second crust across the top of the filling and position.  Crimp the edge of the pie crust and trim.  Sprinkle the top of the pie with cinnamon and sugar, optional.  Bake 40-50 minutes until the filling starts to bubble and the crust browns.  Remove from the oven to cool.  Yield 6-8 servings.

Apple Pie baked fresh using home canned filling and home made and frozen pastry.
The pie was delicious and it was so very nice to just pull it together so quickly and effortlessly on a day with so many other things I had too do.  One of the kids had a car battery go dead and I played Taxi Driver most of the afternoon.  So you can see how happy I was to have done the work, planning, and organizing ahead of the game!


No comments: