Translate

10/16/12

Crock Pot Chicken 'n Dressing with Mashed Potatoes

Smothered chicken and stuffing with mashed potatoes and a side of peas.
This morning I was stuck trying to think of something to do with the big package of split chicken breasts I had thawed and some way to use up leftover mashed potatoes.  Finally I decided to fillet the chicken from the bones and use the bones and skin for stock and throw the meat into the crock pot.

Ingredients for Chicken and Dressing in the Crock Pot:

5-6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
salt and pepper
6-8 ounces Mozzarella cheese slices
1 can cream of mushroom soup  (or cream of chicken, or cream of celery if you prefer)
4-5 T. milk
1 package stuffing mix
1/2 stick of butter melted
3-4 cups cold left over mashed potatoes

Brian is funny about chicken.  He does better if it is off the bone and he likes dressing which for two people I do not often make.  I    need to pick up Katie our youngest granddaughter today from school and am out of gas.  I decided to go for gas and a box of stuffing in a box!



I buttered the crock pot and using a fillet knife took the 5 chicken breast halves from the bone. These I seasoned with black pepper. Next I layered them in the bottom of the crock pot and covered with slices of Mozzarella cheese. Then mixed a can of cream of mushroom soup with 4-5 T. milk and spread this atop the cheese.


After opening the stuffing box I just spread it over the soup and drizzled a half of a stick of melter butter over it all.

Lastly I crumbled the leftover mashed potatoes over the parameter of the slow cooker, placed on the lid and turned the temperature to low for 8-10 hours.  Delicious and all I had to do is serve this meal with a green salad or vegetable.  Yield 5 or 6 servings. 

Basically it was very tasty but was a bit over browned.   My slow cooker is on the hot side even on low and I needed to watch more closely!!

The chicken bones went into a kettle with celery, onions, carrots, garlic, salt, and pepper and was covered with water.  They simmered all afternoon and the stock was frozen in quart containers.  The chicken frozen in freezer bags after removing it from the bones.  I will use both for soup another day.

No comments: