Translate

10/30/12

Turkey & Bean Burritos with Homemade Seasoning Recipe

Last night I just didn't want to cook.  I was pooped and had emptied about a dozen huge boxes of fabric in the late afternoon and just wanted something easy and a hot shower.  I opened the cabinet doors to the spice shelves and spied my jar of homemade taco seasoning.  Out of corn chips,  but there are some large flour tortillas in the bottom of my frig., a case to be made for burritos!  I am cutting back on red meat and I think ground turkey will do just fine.  I have stocked up and have some in the freezer.  Oo-lay!

A thaw in the microwave for the turkey, a can of re-fried beans from the pantry and I am half way home!  I have the seasoning mix already made up and if you would like to try it here is how I make it.

Ingredients for Homemade Taco/Burrito seasoning Mix:

4 T. Chili Powder ( I like Mexainne)
4 t. Paprika
3 T. Cumin
5 t. Onion Powder
1 t. Garlic Powder
1/4 t. Cayenne Pepper or to taste

Blend these ingredients and store in jar with a tight fitting lid.  To use add 2 T. spices mix and 1 C. of water to one pound of cooked and browned ground meat, lower the heat to simmer, and cover.  Cook for 5-10 minutes then use in your favorite recipe.


Ingredients for Turkey Burritos:

1pound cooked and browned ground turkey
2 T. Seasoning Mix above
1 C. water
1, 16 ounce can of re-fried beans
4-6 large flour tortillas
1 diced tomato
3-4 leaves of romaine shredded
3-4 oz. cheese shredded
2-3 T. sour cream

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.   Prepare a large foil packet for the flour tortillas and wrap them well.

Prepare the seasoned meat filling as above directed and add 1, 16 ounce can of re-fried beans.  cover and turn the heat to simmer stirring occasionally.  Meanwhile place the foil package of tortillas in the oven and set the timer for 10 minutes,  Prepare the tomato, lettuce, and cheese while they warm.

Place a warm tortilla on a flat plate and add in a long row about 3 tablespoons of the meat and bean filling.  Dollop a few half teaspoons of sour cream across the warm meat and sprinkle with a bit of the shredded cheese.  Strew the lettuce and tomato across the top keeping everything in a line about 2-3 inches from the top and the bottom. 

Fold up the bottom of the tortilla then I fold the side closest to me over then I fold again forming a wrap with an opening at the top.  The temptation is to overfill but they are so much easier to eat if you don't!!  So there you have it, quick, easy, one pan, paper plates, and heart healthy, low fat and I used no salt!

Yield 6 burritos.






2 comments:

Unknown said...

I felt the same last night, after flying in from a visit interstate the last thing I felt like was cooking a meal. I have also cut back on red meat, I had some chicken tenderloins in the freezer and with a few vegetables, mushrooms, cheese and a can of skinny evaporative milk I made some creamy burritos. So yummy. I'm going to try your taco seasoning, looks good.

Linda said...

I have been searching for the recipe of turkey & bean burritos with some homemade seasoning since so long and you have just solved my problem by providing its recipe.