Translate

11/25/12

Easy Meat Slicing or Carving

Sliced turkey breast.
This is my take on carving and slicing any kind of meat.  Since I just made a half of a ham and a 10 pound turkey breast for Thanksgiving it is on my mind to share with anyone who might dread and have misgivings about the subject. 

My husband's uncle Gene Cosby of Washington, Indiana was in his youth a butcher as his Father Ed Cosby owned a grocery there and it was the family business for many years.  I recall very clearly one day early in our marriage visiting and Gene carved and explained the Cosby theories of meal carving!!  He parceled out a whole bone-in ham lickity split as I watched in awe.  The first rule and actually the only rule for multiple reasons is to cook it and let it rest before you touch it with a blade. 

As time has passed I have used his lesson and broadened it to suit my love of doing things ahead.  So this year and anytime I can I cook the meat early in the day or a day or two ahead, cover and wrap it foil or plastic tightly, and then refrigerate.  When cold I can slice ham so uniformly that my son's keep asking how did I slice it as they can't believe it was done free hand by me!

The turkey becomes a snap too as I disregard all of the carving directions in the books I have read on the subject and slice each half of the breast straight down the center bone and release it from the carcass.  Turn it cut side down with the skin facing up.  Then slice across the width.

You can after slicing just slide the broad side of the knife under the slices and practically lift the whole breast half onto the waiting platter.  Usually I place the meat into large flat covered baking dishes.  When it is time to reheat I ladle a bit of broth or water over the top of the slices and warm covered in a moderate oven  (about 325 degrees F) for 20-30 minutes, just until warmed throughout.

I also do this with rump roast, pork roast, baked chicken, or anything you prepare by roasting or baking.

No comments: