Translate

7/24/13

1-2-3 Crock Pot Beef

1 pkg. Italian dressing mix, 1 pkg. Ranch mix, and 1 pkg. brown gravy mix plus 1 cup of water atop a beef roast and into your slow cooker for about 8 hours on low, then dinner is ready.
After a trip to visit my son, grandsons, and family in Fishers, Indiana, north of Indianapolis.  About a 4 hour drive north from here I am back playing catch up.  We celebrated Sheree's birthday and visited with her family and many more family members on Saturday afternoon.  Mother, Linda's family and Gary's family were there and it was a great day. This trip Brian stayed home so there is lots of catching up to do as I was gone 5 days.  I also stopped and saw my brother Gary and Grandma Powell on my way home so there is a SUV to be unloaded from Grandma with more unknown and unanticipated treasures!

This morning I got a load of uncut fabric into the washer as I hope to get some sewing going and as I am a bit down in the back I put on a crock pot dinner to simmer just now.  This recipe has a bit of traction in our family.  I think our son Chris first fixed it than my sis Linda.  I liked it a lot and today after such rave reviews I have put it into my pot and turned it on low to lazily simmer the day away.  I am told it can be served either of 2 ways.  The first is pulled apart and served as a sandwich on toasted rolls, with or with out cheese and condiments.  The second is to add carrots and potatoes about 1 1/2 hours before serving and serve as a meal with the veggies on the side.  I am fixing a cauliflower gratin on the side with mine either way it winds up being done.  I will decide that part later.  Here is the recipe.

It sort of just sits there when you start it but gets succulent as the hours click by.  That is the beauty of forgetting about it and slow cooker meals!
Ingredients for 1-2-3 Crock Pot Beef:

1 beef roast  (I use chuck, choice grade, 3-4 pounds)
1 pkg, Italian salad dressing mix, any kind will do here
1 pkg. Ranch dressing mix, any variety will due
1 pkg. brown gravy mix, any brand
1 Cup water

Place the roast in the bottom of the slow cooker and sprinkle the 3 packages atop.  Pour the cup of water over all and turn onto low for 8 hours or so.  We cook it and shred to serve on toasted rolls as sandwiches but you can also add vegetables 1-2 hours before serving and serve as a roast with sides.

This is great dish and just gets better the next day you serve, a lot like chili or vegetable soup does!

Yield 6-8 servings.

I am posting this early as I am confident in the recipe and will follow up this evening or in the morning with finished pictures and comments.  Who knows I may get the car unloaded too!

Would you believe Brian surprised me by coming home last night from an out of town trip with a PIZZA in hand??  Easy and fun surprise.  Just turned off the pot and will save for Thursday!  Also had put together a Cauliflower Gratin so I covered it with plastic wrap and stashed it in the refrigerator also done and ready for Thursday.

Ingredients for Cauliflower Gratin:

The big dome lid has an open and closed setting to release steam if needed be.
Nice big rack holds the cauliflower and it steamed perfectly.

I used the steamer from Grandma Powell and it worked beautifully for the cauliflower.  Here is how I made this dish, yet to be served.

1 head cauliflower steamed or blanched and drained well, broken into portions
3 T. butter
4 T. flour
2 C. milk
1/2 t. salt
1/4 t. black pepper
1/4 t. dry mustard
1/4 t. nutmeg
1/8 t. ground cayenne pepper
1- 1 1/2  C. shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1-1 1/2 C. breadcrumbs and additional butter, optional

Butter a suitable size baking dish well and place the cauliflower into the dish.  Set aside.  If baking now preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

In a heavy bottomed saucepan melt the butter and add the flour over medium high heat stirring constantly to cook the flour for a better tasting sauce.  After a few minutes add the milk all at once and keep stirring the entire time until it comes to a full boil and thickens.  Reduce the heat to simmer and stir in the seasoning and cheese stirring as it melts.

Cheesy cauliflower add crumbs or heat and serve just like this!
Pour across the top of the cauliflower and if you want to also top with crumbs do so at this time.  If topping with crumbs dot with additional small nibs of soft butter.

Bake about 30-40 minutes until brown and bubbling.  The longer baking time is suggested if you have refrigerated the casserole from having made it ahead of time.  Yield 6-8 servings.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That looks very tasty! I may have to try that in my crock pot. Thanks so much for stopping by! Have a great week!