Translate

7/17/13

Coconut Malibu Rum Cake & Mini Doughnut Muffins, After Morning Chores Out of Doors I Bake in the Afternoon.

Delectable Coconut Malibu Rum Cake.
While rummaging around our seldom visited liquor cabinet a few weeks ago I spied a bottle of Malibu rum and have since been motivated, inspired, or obsessed about putting together a summer coconut and rum cake.  After all it is hot, humid, and the time of year to celebrate all things tropical.

If you are not familiar with Malibu it is a coconut flavored rum and quite delicious.  So today I have adapted my normal rum cake to this lovely coconut concoction and am really quite pleased with it and myself!  In fact I have thought that it would have been so very nice to have used a coconut instant pudding or maybe pistachio instead of the vanilla.  I do not normally stock those so it would have meant a trip to the store so I just proceeded with the vanilla instant pudding as follows.

NOTE:  7/23/13 I have just returned home from visiting my Grandsons and want to say that this made just the best rum cake ever.  This will be my first choice in the future unless making it for someone who does not like coconut!  My son and I loved and enjoyed this!

Ingredients for Coconut Malibu Rum Cake:

1/4 C. chopped pecans
1/2 C. sweetened flaked coconut divided (1/4 C. for the pan and 1/4 C. for the cake batter
1 (18 1/2 ounce) golden butter cake mix
1 (3 3/4 ounce) box instant vanilla pudding mix
1/2 C. Malibu rum
1/2 C. water
1/2 C. vegetable oil
4 eggs

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.

Who can resist pecans and coconut?  Not me!
Butter and flour well a bundt pan or a 10" x 14" tube pan and set it aside.  Mix the chopped pecans and 1/4 C. of the coconut until well combined and toss it evenly into the bottom of the prepared pan.  Place the cake and pudding mixes into a large mixing bowl and add the rum, water, oil, and eggs.  Using an electric mixer beat together for 2 minutes.  Fold in the 1/4 C. of coconut and pour the batter evenly into the pan.  Bake in the preheated oven for 50-60 minutes until done.  A bamboo skewer placed into the center of the pan should test clean.

Ingredients for Hot Malibu Rum Glaze:

1 C. sugar
1//4 C. Malibu rum
1 stick of butter
1/4 C. water
1/8 t. butter rum flavor (optional)

Combine the glaze ingredients in a small sauce pan and bring to a boil.  Continue to boil for 3--4 minutes.  Pour over the hot cake.

Remove the cake from the oven and immediately pour the hot glaze over the cake.  Cool the cake for 30 minutes and remove it from the pan to a tray or platter.

Serve with sweetened cream.

This recipe made 3 dozen big mini muffins  or 12 large regular size doughnut muffins.
Then I have had a yen to fix some of these "Oh so worth repeating" Doughnut Muffins!  This time though I am going to make them as mini muffins.   thehiddenpantry.blogspot.com/2011/07/doughnut-muffins.html

I think these will be wonderful in the morning with hot black coffee!  All done and the kitchen cleaned by 5 bells......

1 comment:

James said...

Share great information about your blog , Blog really helpful for us . We read your blog , share most useful information in blog . Thanks for share your blog here .Hawaiian Tea