Translate

7/28/13

So Easy and Delicious Strawberry Oatmeal Bars

These are so good you will not want to stop with just one!  I tasted while still slightly warm and oh my gosh!  So so delicious.
This is a recipe I adapted from one given on TV by Ree Drummond, The Pioneer Woman.  I have always loved oatmeal and these bars could certainly be made using any jam you like.  I am seriously considering orange marmalade in my next batch!  These strawberry bars were made after thawing a jar of my homemade Strawberry Freezer Jam and I assure you this will not be the last batch!  These are seriously easy and seriously delicious!

Seriously delicious just might be an understatement!
Ingredients for Strawberry Oatmeal Bars:

2 sticks cold butter, reserve 2 tablespoons for dotting the top and cut the other 1 3/4 sticks into dice size chunks
1 1/2 C. flour
1 1/2 C. oats plus 2 T. oats, reserved for final topping (I prefer old fashioned but quick will work as well.)
1 C. brown sugar packed
1 t. baking powder
1/2 t. salt
12 ounces strawberry jam (Or whatever flavor of jam you prefer.)

Butter and flour a 9" x 13" baking dish and set side.  Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Combine in the bowl of the food processor the flour, 1 1/2 C. oats, 1 3/4 sticks diced butter, packed brown sugar, baking powder, and salt.   Pulse several times until meal like.

Dump 1/2 of the oat and flour into the prepared pan and pat down with a rubber spatula or the bottom of a small measuring cup.  Spread the jam evenly all across the bottom crust.  Top with the remaining meal like oat and flour mixture and pat it evenly and lightly until you cover the jam.

Sprinkle the top with the remaining 2 T. of oats and dot with small pieces of the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter.  Bake for 35-40 minutes until lightly browned.  Cool completely and cut into bars.

Yield 24 bar cookies.

1 comment:

doris said...

This looks soooooooooooo yummy! I think that I might try this one for sure.

Thanks for sharing all of your great recipes, Diane.